HARARE – A Chinese national who had been missing since July 27 has been found dead, ending a three-week search involving police, private investigators and local residents.

Sixty-two-year-old He Xian Ming’s decomposed body was recovered from the Tsambe River in Odzi, Manicaland, on Tuesday night.

Tafadzwa Chidawa of Matrix Private Investigations & Security said Ming, a supervisor at a quarry mine in Odzi, was last seen alive at around 8PM on July 27 in the company of a sex worker he had allegedly been introduced to by one of his employees.

Chidawa said investigators had established that an argument broke out after the sexual encounter.

“Our information is that after the sex, the woman demanded money because the deceased had not used protection. She threatened to report him for rape,” Chidawa said.

“There was an altercation and the deceased left the site alone.”

According to Chidawa, the employee who arranged the meeting allegedly encouraged the woman to demand more money in the hope of receiving a share.

“Since that night, he was not found until the discovery of his remains in an advanced state of decomposition,” Chidawa said.

He Xian Ming

Police are continuing their investigations to establish the circumstances surrounding Ming’s death.

Some locals suspect he may have been murdered or driven to take his own life following the alleged threats, although investigators have not yet determined the cause of death.